Last week, at Cadence Sales Kickoff, we have heard fascinating presentations from key US customer executives. The main points each one of the presenters made were:
1. The economy is slowing down and as a result many of the semiconductor (and fabless) companies are facing major challenges.
2. The successful semiconductor companies are the ones focusing on specific solution for their customers. This solution includes most of the components (ASIC, ASSP etc..) required for a specific end-product. The goal for these companies is to be #1 in each one of these applications so their full solution will include all devices from the same company.
3. The market is becoming global and all successful companies share their projects across the globe. Operation excellence is becoming critical part of the success.
4. The above successful companies have a great potential to become stronger after the recession and therefore they are looking forward for the up-coming opportunity.
5. The number of derivative designs is growing and therefore IP re-use automation is a key goal for their development organization.
During the year, you will hear from me and others more info about IP re-use. Stay tuned!
Being an optimist, I see the points your sales execs raise as "glass half-full" truths and reason to look forward with anticipation and to prepare. Thank you for sharing them. For those companies that must address globally distrubuted teams and need to cut costs incurred by flights and trade shows, take a look at the Xuropa Online Electronic Design Community. www.xuropa.com It's growing rapidly and has the tools for you to engage globally and prepare the way for the up-turn in the economy. For a limited time we're offering the cost free set up and building of individual collaboration and professional networking communities.