While running the idf_in command in batch on a small rectangular outline with two tooling corners lower left (origin) and upper right for some reason the lower left hole will not load. If I use Allegro and import it within the tool I receive an extents are too small warning. If I make the work area a bit larger and the x and y of the lower left hand corner a bit larger the hole loads just fine. Haven't tracked down what feature if the hole is causing the batch program to fail. Does anyone know if there is an environment variable or some type of setting that controls the extents of the working area when importing and idf in batch? The IDF file has no setting for extents and mechanical says there software does not control this. What we ended up doing is using a smaller hole and moved it 50 mils away from the board edge. I see this as a bandaide fix not really the solution to what happened. Any help would be great as I seeing this happening in the future.
It sounds like something in the symbol is fairly large and is exceeding your design extents. You can increase your design extents to allow placement of the symbol. One thing to try is to open the symbol, turn on all the layers, and see how big everything is. Usually I find that even though the actual symbol is small, there are additional items added like text notes or dimensions that increase the area needed for placement.
My guess is that the integer and decimal values do not match. You can look at the IDF file in notepad or something and check this. I have seen this before when the decimal point does not match, or the Units MM, Inch, etc.
In reply to Randy R:
One of the things that we do is have a script that splits the output IDF file from our mechanical group into two pieces, one for the outline and the other placement data. The script then generates a bsm (all this run out of the Allegro tool) which we place at the board level. We then load the placement file after having read in a database to the board so that the reference designators in the emn file can be utilized. We try to have zero errors in the bsm so that if someone in the future has to update the board it comes in clean. Manipulating the extents in Allegro though very easy we are not supposed to do. I've been meaning to check to see if there are unseen artifacts in the file but wanted to see if there was some other way to control the extents or the origin in the setup. Thanks for the input.