i've just installed IC6 and i'm attempting to port a small test library. From the ciw i'm using tools -> conversion box -> CBD to OpenAccess Translator.
I am reading the manuals as i cannot get it to run but any tips from those who have been through this would be helpful.
Currently i have stripped my old cds.lib such that it references the following:
At what point do i point the converter to the new oa_technology, should this also go in the old cds.lib?
First, go to Source Link/Design Topics/Custom IC DesignIC6.1 Adoption/Introduction to IC6.1 Adoption and that will lead you to the adoption website which goes into detail on translating your databases and all else necessary to use IC6.1. Talk with your local AE who should be able to help you get started or at least contact us within Cadence who can give you advice.
Your specific problem may be in the location of your CDB and OA libraries. Each needs its own cds.lib file, make a new directory and start IC6.1 in that directory. Reference the CDB version of the cds.lib file, it should be complete. The converter will make a cds.lib and lib.defs file in your current directory. Don't mix the CDB and OA libraries, the directories for these libraries must be different. Translate your technology library first then from the bottom up. In the GUI form, there is an order button which calculates the translation order. Use the -report argument (selected from the form) to get more feedback. Check the log files after translation as this will give you a clue as to what is going on and what problems you may have. It should also give you solutions.
Again, contact your local AE to get support.
In reply to Austin CAD Guy:
I've taken your advice and had a look at that
documantation and also contacted cadence to help with the issues as we
go along. I think our transaltion is a bit simpler as our process
vendor has actually provided us with a OA version of the kit.
the method i found that sort of works for us ( i say sort of as we have
lots of small isues that may or may not be related) was to:
- Start oa from a new distinct oa directory
- create a new cds.lib here (did so with a text eitor) and define only the oa_kit technology
- Run the converter from the CIW, select one libray to convert, stu_test in our case
see now that IC6 also uses a def.lib, so we are considering whether or
not to disable def.lib for now (this can be done by a setenv according
to the documentation)
I've also found a couple of other things thus far that have helped me get IC6 running:
1) Start from fresh with the .cdsenv & .cdsinit from the IC6 samples
Set the $path to include the ASSURA IC6 ...tools/bin as otherwise my
layout had issues loading the menus. I'm looking into this in morw
deoth as we are not 100% sure why this is the case.
In reply to stuso:
The lib.defs file is a new definition file which is used by non Virtuoso OA based tools. If you are using Encounter or 3rd party OA based tools, the lib.defs file is currently required. The cds.lib file has additional capabilities which are not supported by lib.defs so Cadence is developing an OA plug-in that other tools can use the cds.lib file in place of the lib.defs file with all the bells and whistles that cds.lib supports.
It is always good to start with a new .cdsenv file as there are many new capabilities which you need to set. See the on-line Design Topics documentation for some of the most important ones (default constraint groups, via shapes, etc.). My .cdsinit file branches for specific IC6.1 things but is otherwise the same.
The Assura menu issue is known, if you have a CDB version of Assura in your shell path instead of an OA version, it not only does not load the Assura menus but messes up the OA layout menus. We are looking for a fix to this at this time. If you check your cds.log file you will have an error which is not clear about the Assura issue. If necessary, that is you do not have Assura for IC6.1, remove the ASSURAHOME definition from your shell setup routines.