Community Feedback, Suggestions, and Questions Please, PLEASE simplify this mess!

Please, PLEASE simplify this mess!

Hi,

I am a relatively experience PCB designer and have worked with a number of layout editors. I have not used Orcad since university which was about 8 years ago, but I remember being frustrated with it then.

I have now started a new job and have been forced to use your software again. I have spent the last 3 days trying to get my head around your "suite" of programs but I am getting more and more confused as the days go on.

When I open the program folder in the start menu I spend about 5 minutes just trying to find the program I want out of your suite of about 50. And then I have figure out, is it Allegro PCB planner I need, or PCB designer? Oh wait, there is also PCB Layout, or is that the same thing as PCB designer? Why can you not have ONE application that neatly includes schematic capture, spice and layout all in one?

I am currently reading a biography on one of the true technological legends of our time (a lot of people will have one of his products in their pocket). His philosophy was to make products as user friendly, elegant and stylish yet perfectly functional through eradicating clutter and simplifying as far as possible.

After the last 3 days I think Cadence might have a polar opposite business philosophy!

I'm sure I am not the first person to bring this up.

Regards,

Namtey

CDNS Forum Thread CSS JS
CDNS - Fix Layout