Has anyone else seen this error? We installed Orcad V16.3, including the hotfix, yesterday, and it was working just fine. I came in today and tried to launchOrcad Capture CIS, I get the following error window:
This application has failed to start because cdn_sfl401as.dll was not found. Re-Installing the application may fix this problem. I don't want to re-install every day!! Any ideas out there?
Update... I forgot to mention I'm running WinXP Pro SP3. I found a work-around for this problem :-). I had to add the path to where cdn_sfl401as.dll was residing (C:\Cadence\SPB_16.3\tools\bin). I added it by going to control panel-> click on the Advanced tab-> then click on Environment Variables. I added it to the PATH user variable for me (the variables at the top). I hope this work-around helps others.
Thanks for the post and the workaround. It was helpful. I think you left out one step in your instructions. It shoud be:
control panel-> system -> click on the Advanced tab-> then click on Environment Variables
Anyway, in my case, I have the same OS and OrCad version as you...and the same problem after 3 weeks of successful operation. In my case, following your instructions, I confirmed the path to the dll was already in my search path. The path was there, yet windows couldn't find the file. In the end, I rebooted and it started working again.
You are right. I missed that one step in my explaination of the workaround I found. Thanks for the clarification. The problem has not come back since I put in the fix.
I had the problem again today.....and 3 reboots wasn't enough to make it run. Its odd....I've been running this successfully every day since the last posting.
Todd, your advice paid off even more soundly this time. My path already contained "%CDSROOT%\tools\bin" with a separate environment variable CDSROOT set to: "C:\Cadence\SPB_16.5" This was set up automatically by the OrCad install 1 month ago. I didn't change it. This sort of arrangment usually works well on Linux systems. However, my guess here is that the order in which Windows XP sets the environment variables may not be completely consistent each time it boots up. If the CDSROOT env variable doesn't get set before the path is set then the path will be wrong..... I added the path to the dll file explicitly as you suggested (without the embedded CDSROOT ) and it works....for now at least. I'll update if this changes.
I am really fade up with this dll failed error.. 5th time i am faceing this same problem.. every time need to reinstall my soft...