I have written some nice reports for internal use, both text reports and HTML reports. Both displayed fine in 16.6.
In 17.2, my text reports are still OK but the HTML reports just display the raw HTML text instead of being formatted and displaying as an HTML page. The Allegro SKILL 17.2 manual, page 1272, still mentions both types of reports being available. The included Allegro reports that are HTML format still work OK, so it’s something about my custom HTML reports.
I looked on COS and the PCB Design forum and didn’t see anything. Neither does $CDSROOT\share\pcb\examples\skill have anything about this that I can find. Then I searched for “html” in User Prefs and found a couple variables. Unchecking “allegro_html_qt” makes the reports display properly. Now knowing this, I found a few entries on COS that sounds like the HTML viewer has changed in 17.2 from OpenGL to Qt. Perhaps that’s the issue?
Has anybody else run into this issue? What fixes it? Or alternatively, if you have a custom HTML report working in 17.2 with the allegro_html_qt variable checked, how is your report formatted?
Here is the displayed text from an example board I made with allegro_html_qt checked. This is exactly what is displayed in the report window; Allegro does not understand this is HTML and should be displayed as such:
<html><b><u>Design name</u> C:/DATA/Projects/Cadence/test/comp_lead_prep/worklib/comp_lead_prep/physical/comp_lead_prep166.brd<br><u>Date</u> Mon Mar 12 16:11:00 2018</b><br><br><table border="1"><caption><b><u>QSC Component Lead Prep Report</u></b></caption><tr><th>Ref Des</th><th>Part Number</th><th>Footprint Name</th><th>Tooling</th><th>Lead Prep Doc</th></tr><tr><td>Q1</td><td>QD-000373-00</td><td>Q_MFN_TO220FLUP150</td><td>B3</td><td>RD-000487-00</td></tr><tr><td>Q3</td><td>QD-000284-00</td><td>Q_MFN_TO247FLUP220</td><td>C</td><td>RD-000488-00</td></tr><tr><td>Q4</td><td>QD-000284-00</td><td>Q_MFN_TO247PRPC</td><td>ND1</td><td>RD-000042-00</td></tr></html>
I can't help at this time other than to say that I have obeserved the same behaviousr and have unset allegro_html_qt in my site env file.
No doubt there is a syntax that works but I haven't had time to research it. Please let us know if you get somewhere with this.
Alright then. Not just me. I submitted a case with COS and will follow up with any helpful response.
Years later, I was looking at this and now in 17.4 custom HTML reports are totally broken. Unsetting this env var doesn't help anymore. Custom SKILL HTML reports don't render directly from the Tools > Quick Reports menu.
It is still possible to save the HTML report to a file and then open it in the report window, but that's disgusting. It's awkward and unintuitive. The value is having quick reports is so that they are very accessible to users.
Why would Allegro pioneer HTML reports and then break users' HTML reports with no recourse? I've spent time writing many HTML reports as well only to find out that now me and my users can't use them at all. This was so clearly a regression from 16.6 when the Qt engine was added in 17.2, but at least unsetting the env var worked. Now we're all hosed. At a minimum, there is some trickery involved to make the HTML reports work like they did before. At worst, we're hosed.
I reckon I ought to look closely at the out-of-the-box Allegro reports to see if there is some way to make them work. If anyone has figured this out I'd be quite happy to know there is a small change that can fix my custom HTML reports.
I have tried to very carefully copy the format of an included report that renders in HTML. Nope. Or perhaps I've missed something key. My HTML report is clearly HTML, even when I updated the syntax in a few places to match a 17.4 report. It seems to me that user-created HTML reports are truly broken in that they won't open up and render as an HTML document directly from the Quick Tools menu like the HTML reports included with Allegro. How irritating!!!
There was a fix implemented in 17.4 QIR 2 (hotfix 13). Now HTML reports are rendered in HTML when they are launched from the Quick Reports menu.
The only requirement, I'm told, is that the first 6 characters of the report are <html>. These much be the first 6 characters printed to the report.
I have confirmed this by copying the syntax from the DRC report included with Allegro, but without the first line so it conforms to the requirements above. The older reports I wrote with a much simpler HTML syntax also render correctly now.