I am running into an issue I have never had before generating ART Files and wondering if someone out there can shed light as to my possible issue. I am currently using Allegro PCB Editor 16.6, I updated a board that I just generated ART files on the other day and now I can't generate the files. I get an error code in the command field that states "unable to starte program; artwork". Any ideas? The only thing kind of major that I did to it was ran a netlist on it switching a part footprint. I'm stumped as to what it could be. I've been using this program for years and never have ran into this. Thanks for any help that you might be able to provide me.
Do other databases (with artwork configured) that you have run correctly?
This would help figure out if you need to reinstall the app.
Thank you for trying to help me. Nothing worked, so we figured it had to be a corruption or a file missling. With some struggles and some back tracking, we finally figured out that the virus software, McAffee which is a virus in itself, quarentined the executable file for the .art. So I went in, placed it on the safe list and whala, files are back. But this is a friendly reminder that virus software can hose up the whole operation if it happens to have an update that formerly didn't care about a file extension. Lesson learned. Thanks again for trying to help! Susan
I'm glad you found it. Need to remember that trick (not that IT policy will let me turn AV off to test on my machine.)
I've always used Norton and have never run into that.
Luckily I'm IT too. I own my own business so the only ones I have to answer to are my clients. Not a good look when I'm trying to send them art files for a placement check. But alas we got it fixed and I'm down the road. I used to have Norton too, and ran into this a few times with them as well. I use a lot of old license software along with the new stuff too, so the multiple versions I think got me there.