Cadence® system design and verification solutions, integrated under our Verification Suite, provide the simulation, acceleration, emulation, and management capabilities.
Verification Suite Related Products A-Z
Cadence® digital design and signoff solutions provide a fast path to design closure and better predictability, helping you meet your power, performance, and area (PPA) targets.
Full-Flow Digital Solution Related Products A-Z
Cadence® custom, analog, and RF design solutions can help you save time by automating many routine tasks, from block-level and mixed-signal simulation to routing and library characterization.
Overview Related Products A-Z
Driving efficiency and accuracy in advanced packaging, system planning, and multi-fabric interoperability, Cadence® package implementation products deliver the automation and accuracy.
Cadence® PCB design solutions enable shorter, more predictable design cycles with greater integration of component design and system-level simulation for a constraint-driven flow.
An open IP platform for you to customize your app-driven SoC design.
Comprehensive solutions and methodologies.
Helping you meet your broader business goals.
A global customer support infrastructure with around-the-clock help.
More Support Log In
24/7 Support - Cadence Online Support
Locate the latest software updates, service request, technical documentation, solutions and more in your personalized environment.
Cadence offers various software services for download. This page describes our offerings, including the Allegro FREE Physical Viewer.
The Cadence Academic Network helps build strong relationships between academia and industry, and promotes the proliferation of leading-edge technologies and methodologies at universities renowned for their engineering and design excellence.
Participate in CDNLive
A huge knowledge exchange platform for academia to network with industry. We are looking for academic speakers to talk about their research to the industry attendees at the Academic Track at CDNLive EMEA and Silicon Valley.
Come & Meet Us @ Events
A huge knowledge exchange platform for academia. We are looking for academic speakers to talk about their research to industry attendees.
Americas University Software Program
Join the 250+ qualified Americas member universities who have already incorporated Cadence EDA software into their classrooms and academic research projects.
EMEA University Software Program
In EMEA, Cadence works with EUROPRACTICE to ensure cost-effective availability of our extensive electronic design automation (EDA) tools for non-commercial activities.
Apply Now For Jobs
If you are a recent college graduate or a student looking for internship. Visit our exclusive job search page for interns and recent college graduate jobs.
Cadence is a Great Place to do great work
Learn more about our internship program and visit our careers page to do meaningful work and make a great impact.
Get the most out of your investment in Cadence technologies through a wide range of training offerings.
Overview All Courses Asia Pacific EMEANorth America
Instructor-led training [ILT] are live classes that are offered in our state-of-the-art classrooms at our worldwide training centers, at your site, or as a Virtual classroom.
Online Training is delivered over the web to let you proceed at your own pace, anytime and anywhere.
Exchange ideas, news, technical information, and best practices.
The community is open to everyone, and to provide the most value, we require participants to follow our Community Guidelines that facilitate a quality exchange of ideas and information.
It's not all about the technology. Here we exchange ideas on the Cadence Academic Network and other subjects of general interest.
Cadence is a leading provider of system design tools, software, IP, and services.
Get email delivery of the Cadence blog featured here
Albert Chen, field applications and marketing manager at Faraday Technology, has good news and bad news about low-power IC design. The good news -- low-power design implementation has become much more efficient in the past few years. The bad news -- 60 percent of potential power savings remains untapped.
Chen participated in a low-power panel at the Cadence Ecosystem booth at the recent Design Automation Conference, and he also gave a half-hour presentation at the booth. In an interview following the panel, he offered some further comments about Faraday’s experience with low power design. And this experience is, in fact, extensive. Faraday, a silicon IP and fabless ASIC design provider, completes some 300 tapeouts per year.
A bit of background is needed before delving further into the interview. In his presentation, Chen talked about a mobile digital TV demodulator chip that Faraday designed in 2006, and a multimedia processor ASIC that Faraday designed in 2008. Both used power management techniques. While the 2008 chip was 3X more complex than the 2006 chip, it was designed in 45 percent of the time.
What caused this leap in productivity? That’s the first question I put to Chen in our interview, and his answer is in the short video clip below.
As Chen suggests in the above video clip, Faraday’s adoption of the Common Power Format (CPF) and platform-based approach are key to delivering good power results for its ASIC design customers. With the platform-based approach, the company starts with a “generic” solution that supplies 80 percent of what customers want, and treats silicon IP as customizable plug-and-play blocks to get the remaining 20 percent. Chen said that Faraday’s platform SoCs support a number of low-power design techniques, including dynamic and adaptive voltage and frequency scaling. Faraday also provides an operating system and drivers to run the SoC.
While progress in low-power design is impressive, something is still missing. In his presentation, Chen noted that current techniques address less than 40 percent of the potential power savings. The remaining 60 percent are at the systems level. Here’s what Chen had to say about how we can address it:
What advice would Chen give to ASIC design teams that are new to low-power design?
“Don’t be afraid – that’s the key. A lot of Faraday customers are first-time ASIC customers. There is some hand-holding, but I think the ASIC environment and flows are mature enough that we have lowered the barriers dramatically over the past four or five years. It can be done. It’s a great time to build chips right now.”