I finally got the courage to load 16.6 SP3 and start a new design with it. Having to duplicate an existing layout with respect to many keypad switch placements, I thought importing some simple mechanical info from a client provided "dwg" might save me some time - - should have know better! Ranting aside - -
I converted the client's dwg to a dxf (2000-2002 format). Then with autocad viewer determined which of the 100 un-named layers of content contained the features that might actually be helpful for component placement. Using the Import>>DXF functionality, I selected and mapped the desired two layers of the dxf into board_geometry/assembly_notes and assembly_detail subclasses of a new blank board file.
Theimport onto assembly_notes subclass mostly imported OK except for line and arc line widths being weird. However, the import onto assembly_detail subclass was a disaster. Essentially 27 separate squares managed to import on top of one-another in a location not even close to their actual location (in the dxf) or relative to the location of the other features from the first layer import.
I used "incremental addition" and "use default text table" selections for the import process (thinking that one of the dxf layes did have some text on it). The dxf2a log only reports a few "illegal character substitutions" for each of the layers imported.
Any clues to what I'm doing wrong?
You are not the only one having problems with DXF import. I have had the same experience.
I cannot gurantee that what I suggest can help, but here's what I do:
Open the DWG in AutoCAD.
Delete every non essential drawing element.
Use menu command "Purge" to get rid of any empty layers.
Zoom out and issue command "UCS" and then "Extents" in order to reduce the DWG to cover only the drawing elements that you want. You may also want to use UCS in order to move the DWG origin (set "0,0" somewhere in the center of the file)
(If you want imports to be shapes, you have to use command PEDIT and from there create polylines - but this is another story).
Export as DXF.
(So far I have still had occasional problems, so I have had to import the .DXF into Agilent's ADS and make a re-export from there. This odd way is when the Cadence Tool fail to import curves. It seems that the .DXF importer can only recognise perfekt circle elements. Why it can import Agilen ADS-created DXF's with curved elements I cannot say)
The approaches above generally works.
Thanks for the tips, but unfortunately I do not have access to a full version of Autocad for editing. I'm using their free DWG TrueView to open and display. I found a free (trial) converter to convert the dwg to a dxf, but again I have no editing tool at the moment for M-CAD.
Spent all my money on Cadence tools <grin>.
I have Autocad if you would like me to try something for you.
But I'll open a support case with Cadence and see what they say first (besides its broken). I'll let you know - -
Plus you get to take advantage of some of those maintenance $$.