Community Feedback, Suggestions, and Questions OrCAD install killed Oracle VirtualBox

OrCAD install killed Oracle VirtualBox

Installed Orcad demo and now Oracle VirtualBox is redirected to C:\SPB_data instead of c:\users\owner.VirtualBox.

This killed my virtual machine firmware development environment. 

C:\SPB_data directory did not exist until the OrCAD install.

Parents
  • OrCAD installation does not alter or overwrite %HOME% variable any more. I don't see this issue with latest installation or about an year old one. Yes, it would add HOME variable, if I does not find one already set on your system and this should not break any existing install? If this still does, then it seems that specific software (Oracle VirtualBox) is giving precedence to %HOME% environment variable, over it's default value.  

It does not ".......override major system variables! "

• I just installed Cadence Allegro 17.4 on my Win10 laptop and it overwrote my HOME variable
Reply Children
  • Trying to get an answer in a thread started 9 years ago in the wrong forum is not a great way to get a response. This forum is for issues with the forum itself, not for technical questions.

I suggest you post a new question in the "PCB Design" forum which is a much more sensible place to ask questions. Nearly all posts in this forum are posted in the wrong place and as one of the moderators I frequently move them to the right place. In this case I'm not going to move a 9 year old thread though - it's far better to start a new one and have somebody with Orcad expertise answer it.

• I wasn't looking for an answer here, I just switched back my HOME variable to the original location. This thread is one of only a few responses that came up when did a Google search for HOME and SPB_Data.

The last response from @alokt that says that it does not alter or overwrite the HOME variable, which is wrong as it just did. My response was for future people that find this thread.
CDNS Forum Thread CSS JS
CDNS - Fix Layout