Community Feedback, Suggestions, and Questions Cadence Linux Support Questions

Cadence Linux Support Questions

Hi all,

I am using Cadence SPB for quite some time now. First SPB16.6 on windows 7 and now SPB17.2 on windows 10 with some annoying problems ( slow graphics response on win10 thanks  Smiley ). But now i am trying to install SPB17.2 on Centos7 Linux, along with some other Cadence tools for IC design. (I was asked to do it and i am not a Linux power user) I've used installscape but a have problems.

• How can i find the software requirements of each tool e.g. SPB? Looks like a lot of software libraries are missing and i do not know which ones to install. I know that the slow and painful way is to use ldd command on each and every executable in the installation folder.
  • Is there any documentation from Cadence that helps with each specific installation? There like thousands of manuals on Cadence support but i cannot find something for that. The only thing that i have found is a very generic installation manual that is the same for every Cadence tool that i have installed. The only useful thing that it mentions is that i have to  modify the path variable to add the tools/bin folder for each tool. And i have done that already. I have also setup the license variable correctly. 
  • Is there OrCAD Capture on SPB17.2 for Linux? We have allegro license here so i create schematics on Allegro Design Entry CIS which is OrCAD Capture.

Is here any experienced Linux admin/power user who can share some info please? If not on specific matters, at least on the flow that i have to use to move towards making the tools usable. 

Thank you in advance,

Theocharis Vavouris

• Unfortunately, this seems to fall into the category of "Linux admins just know".
    For the SPB tools, since you have a Windows machine, you will need to replicate the "CDS" environment variables from that machine in your Linux environment, then you can start looking for the missing libraries. Once the PATH is configured, you can start a terminal session and type "allegro" and see what's missing. You will need the 32-bit compatibility libraries for starters, then you should get information on other items that you need to "yum install". You will also need to get the K shell, ksh, otherwise things will run pretty slowly. There isn't any version of Capture / CIS that runs on Linux since it requires a Windows environment.
    The IC tools are another ball game but will likely follow a similar pattern of requiring some specific environment variable settings and the PATH configured to locate the tools, you should raise a support case with Cadence Support to get the specifics for the tools that you have.
    Most sites would have all of this scripted as part of their tool integration, either by a local site Linux admin, or via Cadence Support Services.
CDNS Forum Thread CSS JS
CDNS - Fix Layout